Tuesday 28 March 2023

             Develop a triple jumper to become a professional

I have already talked about this topic before but it seems to me that we must continue talking about something that has so many problems in developing triple jumpers

I have worked as a professional coach in this discipline in different countries and I have seen many great coaches, of course, each one of them with different opinions but in the end, they all have the same goal, (results).

By this, I mean that all coaches including myself have a common goal, but to achieve results, we have to work deeply and fundamentally on the specific basis of this discipline with the athletes.

In my opinion and according to my experience, as a coach, we have to take into consideration if the athlete has the talent and the conditions to be a triple jumper, for me it is the first thing we have to observe.

Why do I say this? In this discipline, the athlete has to possess specific qualities for the development of it and as the first quality, discipline.

The second thing is to have a strong mentality in training and the ability to listen and store every technical detail for his/her development.

Third and last, the athlete has to be punctual in each training session, I can imagine that other coaches have another point of view on this, but I have worked and continue to work this way and it has always worked perfectly for me.

I have other points in consideration but since each type of athlete is different, I use them individually for each one of them.

When we are sure that the athlete has the required qualities and he or she commits to becoming a triple jumper then the other part and responsibility belongs to us then from this moment the work begins.

I am going to put some examples here, remember each coach has his book and you do what you think works with your athlete.

To train a beginner, the first thing we have to do is work on the base of this discipline. that consists of the preparation of the athlete in different technical skills.

For instance, we have to teach them how a triple jumper should run; I can imagine that many wondered, (run!)

Jumpers have to know how to push off the track to gain speed and strength, sprinters do that too but differently.

There are specific speed exercises for triple jumpers, which can be developed with cones, hurdles and different types of obstacles to develop the skills of the sense of rhythm in the approach.

To avoid all kinds of injuries we have to work the base that consists of coordination, balance and rhythm exercises, and exercises for time and space. For this last one, I particularly work uphill and downhill.

Do not forget that these exercises have to be done under the supervision of the coach

It is worrying to see many girls and boys, without the proper technique, competing in different competitions. This discipline requires an almost perfect technique and the more we work with them to perfect the technique, the better jumpers we will have in the future. Please, let's avoid losing those talents just because we want to have immediate results and let's work on developing this discipline in the safest way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment